Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who craves morphine; a morphine addict.
abuser, userView synonyms
- ‘Every reputable physician approaches with something of dread the subject of the treatment of those classes of patients known as morphiomaniacs and dipsomaniacs.’
- ‘The morphinomaniac is often a psychopath from heredity.’
- ‘To be a libertine is to be in a physical condition like that of a morphiomaniac, a drunkard, or a smoker.’
- ‘All morphiomaniacs are, doubtless, more or less like each other as far as the symptoms of the disease are concerned.’
- ‘The morphinomaniac ordinarily uses relatively enormous doses.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.