One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A morphine addict.‘the tendency of the morphinist to increase his dosage’
abuser, userView synonyms
- ‘Morphinists can take regular meals, preferring well flavored and sour articles, such as curry, pickles, etc.’
- ‘They were some time in discovering that the morphinist, instead of a craving for the taste of opium on his tongue, now suffered a greedy fascination at the thought of a hypodermic needle puncturing his veins.’
- ‘Burke also details physiological symptoms of withdrawal - muscular tremors, watery eyes, abdominal cramps - symptoms by which "the morphinist is usually revealed".’
- ‘It was an error of judgment which led a French court to declare valid the will of a morphinist who had committed suicide after leaving his fortune to his mistress.’
- ‘The more highly intellectual a person, the more likely is he to become a morphinist when he has taken the drug for the relief of pain, and then possibly cannot stop its use.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.