One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A morphine addict.‘the tendency of the morphinist to increase his dosage’
abuser, userView synonyms
- ‘The more highly intellectual a person, the more likely is he to become a morphinist when he has taken the drug for the relief of pain, and then possibly cannot stop its use.’
- ‘They were some time in discovering that the morphinist, instead of a craving for the taste of opium on his tongue, now suffered a greedy fascination at the thought of a hypodermic needle puncturing his veins.’
- ‘It was an error of judgment which led a French court to declare valid the will of a morphinist who had committed suicide after leaving his fortune to his mistress.’
- ‘Morphinists can take regular meals, preferring well flavored and sour articles, such as curry, pickles, etc.’
- ‘Burke also details physiological symptoms of withdrawal - muscular tremors, watery eyes, abdominal cramps - symptoms by which "the morphinist is usually revealed".’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.