Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A stupid person.‘we can't let these thoughtless morons get away with mindless vandalism every weekend’
idiot, ass, halfwit, nincompoop, blockhead, buffoon, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, dullard, simpleton, clodView synonyms
- ‘They should publicise the names and addresses of these morons so we can all point and laugh.’
- ‘Those that are responsible for hiring her are certifiable morons who should also be fired.’
- ‘To treat the people as such morons is little short of contempt, but appears not to be resented.’
- ‘Speaking of idiots, Tom proves he is a moron with his comments on antidepressants.’
- ‘Yeah, some of my best friends are morons, yet somehow I still don't seem to tolerate your stupidity.’
- ‘I would laugh and tell her that there were any number of morons who could easily do what I was doing!’
- ‘Our park should be locked at 9pm and large metal fences put up to stop these morons from getting in.’
- ‘You have to battle through swathes of morons to reach your object, if, in fact, it's actually in the store.’
- ‘Stupid moron, the chances of me falling for anyone at this party were one in twenty million.’
- ‘You people are the most messed up morons on the face of the Earth!’
- ‘When these morons get it wrong, they invariably wreck innocent lives.’
- ‘Adam's a damn fool, a moron for not realising what he could be throwing away.’
- ‘So quite why they sent an engineer to my parents house I'm at a loss, other than the obvious of them being a bunch of brain-dead morons.’
- ‘So, I say to these pathetic morons, if you have something to say, say it through the press or after the game.’
- ‘They knew how to tackle the stage and make an impact without looking like morons.’
- ‘Yes, this is a serious offense because school officials are complete and utter morons.’
- ‘Change yourselves, you morons, and stop blaming your inadequacies on others.’
- ‘I bet that those on the receiving end of such behaviour don't mind whether the villains are dubbed cretins or morons.’
- ‘I will say to you if they don't appreciate you then they are morons.’
- ‘They laughed at us and we felt like morons - until they did the same thing about an hour later.’
Early 20th century (as a medical term denoting an adult with a mental age of about 8–12): from Greek mōron, neuter of mōros foolish.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.