One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A man's formal coat with a long back section cut into tails which curves up to join the waist at the front.
- ‘The twins saw the driver clearly now, and Becca said, ‘Yeah, he looks like he's dressed for a funeral, what with that morning coat on.’’
- ‘While the settlers along the coast developed an elaborate lifestyle complete with top hats and morning coats and a society of Masons, the indigenous peasants endured poverty and neglect.’
- ‘Being a true English gent, I lend her the warm and comforting embrace of my morning coat.’
- ‘Senior members of the Royal Family in military dress uniforms saluted; women in black hats and men in morning coats bowed their heads.’
- ‘There were 5,000 police, including plain-clothes officers disguised in everything from morning coats to overalls.’
- ‘Hill himself was sitting in a corner in his morning coat.’
- ‘For, as every dedicated follower of fashion knows, at Britain's most elegant race meeting, no gentleman gets into the enclosure without wearing the obligatory morning coat and top hat.’
- ‘Waiters glide around in dark ties and morning coats.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.