One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Moor in Spain, especially one who had accepted Christian baptism.
- ‘Finally the Moriscos were all expelled from Spain in the early seventeenth century.’
- ‘Weirdly enough, Morris dancing arguably derives from Morisco or Moorish dancing.’
- ‘Some 80,000 Moriscos in Granada were dispersed to other parts of Spain and Old Christians from northern Spain were settled on their lands.’
- ‘In 1609, when the Spaniards expelled all the Moriscos, approximately 80,000 came in a single year.’
- ‘Elizabeth, for her part, sent an army into the Spanish Netherlands in 1585 and offered to support Philip's Morisco subjects against the Spanish government in the late 1580s.’
Spanish, from Moro ‘Moor’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.