One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A man's hairstyle in the form of a long shaggy bob.
- ‘Martin is 30, scrawny, with a moptop, Maltesers for eyes and a nose big and dramatic enough to make star-crossed lovers want to jump off the top.’
- ‘Chris looked innocent, an Abba fan with a well-shampooed moptop and a goofy grin.’
- 1.1 A man with a moptop hairstyle.
- ‘In January of ‘64 the moptops were playing some English dates, later recording and gigging in Paris - no advance promo duties in the U.S. that I'm aware of.’
- ‘A mean old man ells at his band of young moptops to improve their playing before they advance to the annual music competition.’
- ‘Then the moptop with the guitar strums a simple chord he's strummed a thousand times in his tribute act, but this time it must feel like the eyes of the world are upon him.’
- ‘Herman's Hermits, those loveable Sixties moptops, bless their hearts, lived in normal houses with their families and partners and had the same level of social contact with other people as you or I.’
- ‘He just isn't the loveable moptop we once knew.’
- ‘In May 1963, Britain was firmly in the grip of Beatlemania, with the loveable moptops bestriding the hit parade with their first number one, From Me to You.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.