One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1another term for boobook
- ‘Multiple species windbreaks can be a habitat for owls, mopokes and other predatory birds which will eat the rats, mice and other vermin that cause havoc within an orchard.’
- ‘OK, they're actually called Boobook Owls, but all right-minded people call them mopokes due to their call.’
- ‘The sun suddenly sinks, and the mopokes burst out into horrible peels of semi human laughter.’
- 1.1 A tawny frogmouth.See frogmouth
- ‘The large tawny frogmouth, or mopoke, is found in most of Australia and in Tasmania.’
Early 19th century: imitative of the bird's cry.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.