Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A light motor cycle, especially one with an engine capacity of not more than 50 cc.
- ‘Under the ‘Wheels to Work’ scheme, 50 young people seeking jobs - and who live some distance from a bus route - have already been given access to mopeds.’
- ‘A man then got off the moped nearby leaving it with the engine running.’
- ‘The big difference between mopeds, motor scooters and motorcycles is power.’
- ‘Areas of wasteground around the Braintree district are being used by people riding small motorcycles and mopeds, which may be unfit to drive.’
- ‘The council has also set up a Moped Reward Scheme to stop youngsters riding their mopeds illegally on the estate.’
- ‘As I headed left towards the town centre, a group of scooters and mopeds bounced past followed by an old lady on an even older bicycle.’
- ‘She said the culprits are gangs of teenagers, aged between about 17 and 19, who are often seen meeting up on their mopeds.’
- ‘There is a growing market for motorcycles and mopeds throughout the country.’
- ‘The age to drive such scooters is the same as for a moped, 16 years.’
- ‘There has been a sixfold rise in the sale of motorbikes and mopeds in the past three years.’
- ‘Pc Bateson said he noticed the moped had its lights on and was displaying registration plates, but the trials bike was not.’
- ‘Cars, motorcycles, mopeds and scooters were also checked for road-worthiness and officers will advise on essential repairs.’
- ‘Young people riding motorbikes and mopeds have been disturbing the peace of residents near the controversial skate park in Bocking End over the past few weeks.’
- ‘Justices banned the boy from east York from driving all cars, motorcycles and mopeds and adjourned his case for a pre-sentence report.’
- ‘Even vegetable shopkeepers who used cycles to go to market found the mopeds a better means to carry loads.’
- ‘Young motorists in West York who flout the law on mopeds, motorcycles and cars face losing their licences, police warned today.’
- ‘One test will cover the licence categories for motorcycles, cars, mopeds, tractors and work vehicles.’
- ‘Hopefully this will make youngsters think twice about going on mopeds without helmets.’
- ‘The extra cash will allow the purchase of six more mopeds, increasing the size of the scheme, which was opened in May last year, by 50 per cent.’
- ‘Wardens on mopeds or working as ‘hot-spotters’ are expected to issue 15 fixed penalty notices a day.’
1950s: from Swedish, from ( trampcykel med) mo(tor och) ped(aler) pedal cycle with motor and pedals.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.