One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or characteristic of the Moors.‘Moorish Spain’‘Moorish architecture’
- ‘More precisely, Gaudi's work is Moorish, Medieval, and Futuristic, both lavishly ornate and elegantly simple.’
- ‘Moorish details blended easily with elements of other European revival styles, including Venetian and Byzantine architecture.’
- ‘And it goes without saying the bathrooms were sublime, with Moorish influences also detected here.’
- ‘Phoenician, Roman and Moorish ruins were uncovered during the construction process, some of which are on permanent view in the new additions.’
- ‘In addition, the top areas of the main windows are decorated with stone tracery describing trefoils, quatrefoils and Moorish arches.’
- ‘Andalusia also has its own regional dialect - Andalusian - that contains words derived from Arabic, reflecting the region's period of Moorish rule.’
- ‘He spent some time in Spain, and showed an interest in Moorish music before returning to Germany.’
- ‘The city was Moorish territory for many years and regained importance and economic standing with the discovery of the New World.’
- ‘At the restaurant there was a sort of romantic wishfulness that Spain's cooking should be more Moorish than it actually is.’
- ‘Whether it will be retro, modern, futuristic or even Moorish is not clear, but it's a safe bet that it will be achingly stylish.’
- ‘This means that there was a large Moorish population in Spain half a millennium after the high point of Andalusian culture in the eleventh century.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.