Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A landscape resembling the surface of the moon, especially in being rocky and barren.‘the pock-marked moonscape around the old colliery’
- ‘With the forest kaput, erosion creates a tropic moonscape of barren hillsides.’
- ‘Up to 90 percent of the coral island is unusable, resembling a moonscape, after mining stripped away its lucrative phosphate deposits.’
- ‘From 1987 to 1991, drought turned much of the plain into a moonscape.’
- ‘We clamber up over rocks onto a barren, boulder-strewn moonscape where we pick up speed.’
- ‘The Rangers now advance through a moonscape of craters and smashed gun positions.’
- ‘At low tide it's empty, a desolate moonscape of gray glacial silt dotted by glistening tide pools.’
- ‘The trees thinned, dirt gave way to snow, the trail disappeared, and we slipped and slid and slithered through a narrow pass before entering a moonscape of rocky peaks and ice-rimmed lakes.’
- ‘The landscape changes from lush, tree-covered mountains to a barren moonscape, the result of a mining practice called mountaintop removal.’
- ‘The best way to describe that area is to say that it is like a moonscape of mud.’
- ‘The terrain resembled a moonscape, devoid of vegetation.’
- ‘The region's slickrock, sandstone from long-gone seabeds, is a moonscape of crinkles and undulations that make for exhilarating riding.’
- ‘As you drift northwards and deeper, the spurs and gullies give way to a moonscape of boulders.’
- ‘Where Charles used to operate a small ferry the Salt River is now vacant land, a moonscape of cobbles and sand.’
- ‘In the months that followed, Plymouth was buried by as much as 30 feet of ash, and the once green southern slopes of Montserrat were transformed into an eerie grey moonscape, almost devoid of life.’
- ‘The roads here are like moonscapes and we don't know anything about the drainage.’
- ‘Fish and whole forests died and water became non-potable, turning 30 kilometres of the river system into a moonscape.’
- ‘It was one of the worst horrors of my life, for the forests through which I had walked were totally gone, replaced by a bare and barren moonscape without a tree.’
- ‘The ancient rivers and lakes were teeming with life, a far cry from the dry moonscape of the site today.’
- ‘The work takes planters to the most damaged lands, where clearcutting or wildfires have left moonscapes of the ecosystem.’
- ‘It's like a moonscape - there's nothing living down there.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.