Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A foolish person.
idiot, ass, halfwit, nincompoop, blockhead, buffoon, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, dullard, moron, simpleton, clodView synonyms
- ‘This article is a sad commentary on the state of public schools and the navel-gazing mooncalves we hire to run them.’
- ‘But if Ribisi is famous for any one thing he's done, it's Phoebe's mooncalf brother in Friends.’
- ‘Everybody's laden with guilt, even Hilbert and Wilhelm, who look like utter mooncalves to me.’
- ‘We were mooncalves when it came to Woody Allen.’
- ‘They are assumed to be knowledgeable veterans of the city, not ignorant mooncalves.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.