One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A shaft through the bottom of a drilling ship, oil rig, etc. for lowering and raising equipment into or from the water.
- ‘The vessel is equipped with 2 moon pools, 1,000 sq meters clear deck space, a 250T heave compensated crane equipped for deepwater lowering in water depths to 10,000 ft.’
- ‘The weather deck is 2,700 square metres in size and comprises two moon pools.’
- ‘The moon pool is the hole through the bottom of a drillship that allows the drill pipe to pass through.’
- ‘With a 40 ton crane, 40 ton Poclain swing shovel, 4 berth accommodation, 4 workshops and 2 moon pools, the contracts you can chase with such a versatile barge would pay for itself in no time at all.’
- ‘This will not cause any damage to the pipe if performed in a fully controlled manner as the base of the vessel moon pool has a 7.5 metre radius’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.