One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a drug) capable of inducing changes of mood.
- ‘Alcohol is a depressant, a powerful drug with mood-altering effects.’
- ‘Excessive alcohol or mood-altering drug use can also cause fatigue.’
- ‘Throughout the '90s, the number of kids on mood-altering drugs like Prozac and Ritalin doubled and, in some cases, tripled.’
- ‘Belonging to a class of mood-altering drugs, barbiturates induce relaxation and sleep.’
- ‘Caffeine is unquestionably the most widely used mood-altering drug in the world.’
- ‘Dr Brennan also warned of an increasing number of people resorting to a variety of mood-altering substances.’
- ‘Patients should be instructed to adhere precisely to the scheduled dosing of mood-altering drugs and may have someone else keep the bottle and administer the medication.’
- ‘Chocolate contains substances that may account for chocolate's stimulant, anti-depressant and mood-altering effects.’
- ‘Children as young as two are regularly being given mood-altering drugs, including anti-depressants.’
- ‘After sobriety has been achieved, extreme caution should be used in prescribing mood-altering drugs and control led substances to recovering patients, if they are prescribed at all.’
- ‘Abstinence from all mood-altering drugs (including alcohol) is required during the program.’
- ‘A mood-altering drug, caffeine has been proven to reduce irritability and improve social skills, memory, motivation and concentration.’
- ‘Furthermore, for all my commitment to continued sobriety, I'm far from ‘drug free’ today if you count caffeine, as we should, as a mood-altering substance.’
- ‘Music is a powerful, mood-altering tool, that can either put people at ease or make them feel awkward.’
- ‘Whether mood-altering drugs are used for therapeutic purposes, as when a depressed patient is prescribed Prozac, or for recreational purposes, as when a party-goer takes Ecstasy, the chemical action is similar.’
- ‘In fact, studies show that a positive facial contraction like a smile can signal your brain to halt the mood-altering effects of stress.’
- ‘Much of the controversy surrounding the medicinal use of cannabis has centred on fears that it would be used solely for its mood-altering effects.’
- ‘Too many of us have tasted the mood-altering power of a stiff drink after a bad day.’
- ‘Humans have used mood-altering substances for therapeutic and social purposes since ancient times.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.