One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Construction, especially of buildings, on a grand scale.
- ‘If this is cultural arrogance, it has perhaps some of its roots in insecurity and takes a tangible form in architectural monumentalism.’
- ‘In designing the embassy, the architects were faced with the challenge of finding a symbolically appropriate architectural expression, while refraining from monumentalism.’
- ‘This in a time when there was an obsession with structural monumentalism.’
- ‘Unfortunately Kelly's plan looks too modest - where's the swaggering monumentalism?’
- ‘But the cliff artists easily made up for a lack of monumentalism with sheer abundance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.