Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Construction, especially of buildings, on a grand scale.
- ‘Unfortunately Kelly's plan looks too modest - where's the swaggering monumentalism?’
- ‘If this is cultural arrogance, it has perhaps some of its roots in insecurity and takes a tangible form in architectural monumentalism.’
- ‘This in a time when there was an obsession with structural monumentalism.’
- ‘But the cliff artists easily made up for a lack of monumentalism with sheer abundance.’
- ‘In designing the embassy, the architects were faced with the challenge of finding a symbolically appropriate architectural expression, while refraining from monumentalism.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.