One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who makes tombstones and similar items.
- ‘The monumental mason hasn't set to work yet, however; though there may be three in the grave, there's still only two names.’
- ‘The prices quoted by various monumental masons were between £850 and £1,200 for a basic headstone so you should shop around for a good price.’
- ‘The headstone cannot be placed on his grave as a result and is still at the monumental mason's on Prebend Street.’
- ‘The memorial was built from brown Portland stone in 1920 by monumental masons.’
- ‘Mr Kilburn added: ‘All memorials that are laid flat are done so gently by a monumental mason and are being laid on wooden blocks to prevent any damage to the stonework or the graves themselves.’’
- ‘Her father was a monumental mason and was responsible for creating the town's war memorial outside St John's Church.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.