One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of a left-wing Peronist guerrilla organization in Argentina.
rebel, revolutionary, revolutionist, mutineer, agitator, subversive, guerrilla, anarchist, terrorist, bioterrorist, narcoterrorist, ecoterrorist, cyberterrorist, agroterrorist, rioterView synonyms
- ‘In the operation against the Montoneros, a number of those who ‘disappeared’ were kidnapped by Argentine military intelligence operatives inside Brazil.’
- ‘They were specifically charged in the killing of members of the Montoneros, the left-wing Peronist guerrilla group.’
- ‘And this position explains in some sense why, of all the revolutionary groups operating in Argentina, he choose to join the Peronist Montoneros.’
- ‘It's difficult for outsiders to understand how Argentina reached that extreme, but after several years of vicious attacks by the Montoneros guerrillas, the Argentines were desperate for relief.’
- ‘In the '70s he was the leader of Montoneros, a revolutionary organization.’
- ‘The most important ones were the People's Revolutionary Army and the Montoneros, the latter of Peronist extraction.’
South American Spanish, literally ‘guerrilla fighter’, from Spanish montón ‘crowd or mass’: the term originally referred to a peasant rebel against imperial Spain.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.