Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of or inhabiting mountainous country.‘montane grasslands’
- ‘However, the three species are generally segregated by altitude, ranging from lowland swamp forests to higher altitude montane forests.’
- ‘The higher herbivory pressure by mollusks in the lowlands has been discussed as the main reason for the lower altitudinal distribution limit of montane plant species.’
- ‘The species inhabits the understoreys of montane forests, mainly plateau forests.’
- ‘It would also change drastically the montane landscapes and the livelihood of their inhabitants.’
- ‘The park is one of the last large tracts of montane wet forest in eastern or central Africa.’
- ‘The montane zone ends at the subalpine zone, which is where tree growth is more difficult.’
- ‘The natural vegetation on most of it is tall lowland forest, with shorter montane forests at higher elevations.’
- ‘The mid-journey night in montane Flagstaff had refreshed, restored and rejuvenated me.’
- ‘One of the most accessible places to see a bit of the montane rainforest is near Honolulu.’
- ‘Wildlife aside, Arusha National Park is a treasure with a rich tapestry of habitats including grassland, montane forest, heath and alpine desert and soda and fresh water lakes.’
- ‘Between these extremes of latitude, tropical dry forests and montane cloud forests grow in climatic zones that favor unique combinations of species from both north and south.’
- ‘Sure, you'll pass through three distinct ecosystems - montane, subalpine, and alpine tundra.’
- ‘Barred Owls can be found year-round in most lowland and montane forests throughout Washington.’
- ‘The land selected was, according to old British maps, once a shola montane forest with grassland draining into a large wetland.’
- ‘The upscale resort developers continue to covet two square kilometres of rare montane habitat on the Rocky Mountains' eastern slopes near Rocky Mountain House.’
- ‘The Black Hills are the eastern limit of the Ponderosa pine forests and about the only place you can find pristine patches of montane grasslands.’
- ‘For example, when the climate warmed, montane forest communities contracted and moved up the mountain slopes, where the climate was relatively cool.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin montanus, from mons, mont- ‘mountain’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.