Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A title or form of address used of or to a French-speaking man, corresponding to Mr or sir.‘Monsieur Hulot’
- ‘There is no need to apologize, Monsieur, for I was just as at fault as yourself.’
- ‘‘Just one moment, Monsieur,’ she replied, trying to think of something quickly.’
- ‘‘It is not completely her that you should be worried about, Monsieur,’ The man informed him.’
- ‘Is that where you're telephoning, Monsieur?’
- ‘It showed herself, Madeline, Monsieur and Madam Grandeur, and a few other people who worked with the organization, along with their spouses.’
- ‘Finally, we served an excellent store-bought chestnut and vanilla cake called Carré Marron Vanille, brought to us by our friend Monsieur Picard.’
- ‘I did not know Monsieur and Mademoiselle Green felt so strongly!’
- ‘I'd just like to thank you for saving my life, Monsieur.’
- ‘Would you like something to drink, Monsieur?’
- ‘When Monsieur and Madame Defarge are returning to Saint Antoine from Versailles, they stop in Paris and pay a visit to a policeman, an acquaintance of Defarge's whom he greets warmly.’
- ‘But Monsieur McCoy has been learning about him and he told me that next time in the Long Walk Hurdle he'll feel better, because this was a difficult tactical race.’
- ‘And Monsieur, I am most honored to introduce to you Mistress Clara, Master Nicholas, Master Brian, Master Tennyson, and Master Cane.’
- ‘I haven't been able to trace the origin of the name, but it is likely that of the horticulturist who developed the variety, a Monsieur or Madame Clochard.’
- ‘It has a walled rose garden, chintzy rooms and splendid food, courtesy of its owners, Monsieur and Madame Nourrisson.’
French, from mon ‘my’ + sieur ‘lord’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.