Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a reflex pathway) involving a single synapse.
- ‘In wild type, this response is via a monosynaptic pathway and has a characteristically short latency that is stable at high frequencies of stimulation.’
- ‘The latency of the first potential was around 5 msec and was considered as monosynaptic reflex.’
- ‘These include not only reciprocal inhibitory connections between the interneuron groups, but also monosynaptic inputs to swim motoneurons.’
- ‘The key to making the discovery was the development of new techniques that allow monosynaptic connections between pairs of cells to be examined with dual intracellular recordings.’
- ‘In blowflies, a subset of these sensors make strong monosynaptic connections with the motor neurons of steering muscles.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.