One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A railway in which the track consists of a single rail, typically elevated and with the trains suspended from it.
- ‘From the moment you step on to the monorail which takes you from the vast car park to the park itself, the excitement of the day begins.’
- ‘The current batch of super Casinos in a relatively finite space are already forming tentative alliances, offering monorails between venues that are separately owned and operated.’
- ‘We need to stop judging the monorail by the degree to which it does or doesn't make us feel good, and treat it like any other major civic project.’
- ‘This apparently will lead to billions of petro dollars being spent on monorails, overpasses and new highways.’
- ‘He does acknowledge though, that the key to getting either the monorail or the tram back on track is to find investment from the private centre.’
- ‘They were given apartments that were very near the monorail that would bring them to the Core District in a matter minutes.’
- ‘We stepped off of the monorail onto a platform with two tracks lining it four floors up.’
- ‘The elevator opens onto a platform where you can catch a monorail up the hill to the museum.’
- ‘Some monorails get by with tracks just a shade over two feet wide.’
- ‘They hadn't the concourses of most normal airports, or the monorails that would connect the terminals, or over-priced eateries.’
- ‘They plan to remind voters of the original allure of monorail: Elevated trains never get stuck in traffic.’
- ‘Since there are claims and counter-claims by advocates of the metro and the monorail, a debate is definitely called for.’
- ‘One can take taxis, monorails or buses to reach the place.’
- ‘How about an elevated monorail to connect the two Bradford stations, the airport link and the Odsal complex?’
- ‘By contrast, alternate technologies like people movers, mini metros and monorails require the entire route to be separated either by elevating it, putting it underground or fencing it off.’
- ‘If monorail's success rate in less-populated areas is any indication, the airport could do well with such connectivity.’
- ‘He says the light rail will connect four of Seattle's major urban centers, and the monorail will connect the fifth.’
- ‘The monorail was labeled an essential facility by the state Legislature and the Seattle City Council.’
- ‘Why will the monorail be any less expensive than the light rail?’
- ‘I paid my fare and then rode the first monorail that came, which was headed to Convention Center Station.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.