Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A capitalist system typified by trade monopolies in the hands of a few people.
- ‘The objective historical necessity for socialist revolution arose not simply from the fact that imperialism and monopoly capitalism inevitably gave rise to world wars.’
- ‘They are critical to explaining its historic inability to fulfill its own aims and create a ‘middle way’ between socialism and monopoly capitalism.’
- ‘He further argues that, as monopoly capitalism displaced competitive capitalism, hegemonic regimes replaced earlier despotism in the workplace.’
- ‘It's constitution denounced monopoly capitalism and called for organizing workers into one force for revolutionary struggle.’
- ‘The rise of monopoly capitalism in the aftermath of the Civil War led not to equality, but rather to ever-deeper inequality.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.