One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an animal) eating only one kind of food.
- ‘It is a monophagous herbivore that feeds on leaves and flower buds.’
- ‘While monophagous herbivores were typically found at lower densities in polycultures, polyphagous herbivores showed a more variable response.’
- ‘In this area, the monophagous, leaf-feeding, chrysomelid beetle Galerucella calmariensis is the main herbivore on L. salicaria.’
- ‘The salt-marsh planthopper Pissonotus quadripustulatus is monophagous on B. frutescens.’
- ‘The new world members of the genus Blepharida include about 45 species, many of them monophagous and feeding mainly on Bursera or other members of Burseraceae and Anacardiaceae.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.