Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of an animal) eating only one kind of food.
- ‘The salt-marsh planthopper Pissonotus quadripustulatus is monophagous on B. frutescens.’
- ‘The new world members of the genus Blepharida include about 45 species, many of them monophagous and feeding mainly on Bursera or other members of Burseraceae and Anacardiaceae.’
- ‘In this area, the monophagous, leaf-feeding, chrysomelid beetle Galerucella calmariensis is the main herbivore on L. salicaria.’
- ‘It is a monophagous herbivore that feeds on leaves and flower buds.’
- ‘While monophagous herbivores were typically found at lower densities in polycultures, polyphagous herbivores showed a more variable response.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.