One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Consisting of one metal only.
- ‘Cast or wrought monometallic aluminum bearings have high load-carrying ability, and can withstand very high speeds.’
- 1.1historical Relating to, involving, or using a standard of currency based on one metal.
- ‘The widely accepted belief that originally the United States was on a monometallic ‘gold standard’ is incorrect.’
- ‘A fairly unanimous consensus focusing on money as a means of exchange based on a monometallic standard and leading to a narrow definition of money is developed.’
- ‘The latter, monometallic, standard has problems of coin size (too small or too large) and of susceptibility to counterfeiting.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.