Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Consisting of one metal only.
- ‘Cast or wrought monometallic aluminum bearings have high load-carrying ability, and can withstand very high speeds.’
- 1.1historical Relating to, involving, or using a standard of currency based on one metal.
- ‘The latter, monometallic, standard has problems of coin size (too small or too large) and of susceptibility to counterfeiting.’
- ‘A fairly unanimous consensus focusing on money as a means of exchange based on a monometallic standard and leading to a narrow definition of money is developed.’
- ‘The widely accepted belief that originally the United States was on a monometallic ‘gold standard’ is incorrect.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.