One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having one ring of atoms in its molecule.
- ‘Benzene is planar and has an uninterrupted cyclic array of three conjugated double bonds arranged in a monocyclic six membered ring.’
- ‘Limonene synthase catalyses the stereo-specific cyclization of geranyl diphosphate to form a monocyclic monoterpene, limonene.’
- ‘Apparently the monocyclic geometry leads to stronger interactions between peptide and chromophore extending also to longer times.’
- ‘The syntheses of 4-aminomethyl-phenylazobenzoic acid as well as of the linear, monocyclic, and bicyclic AMPB peptides were reported elsewhere.’
- ‘Clusters containing at least 10 atoms commonly form monocyclic rings.’
2Relating to a single cycle of activity.
- ‘Most breeds are seasonally monocyclic, showing signs of heat every 6 months or so.’
- ‘Plate homologies between the two basic types of aboral cup construction, monocyclic and dicyclic, were not always as had traditionally been assumed.’
- ‘Buproprion is a unique monocyclic antidepressant that has structural similarities to amphetamines.’
- ‘Both of these monocyclic crinoids have very few plates in the aboral cup.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.