Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having one ring of atoms in its molecule.
- ‘Limonene synthase catalyses the stereo-specific cyclization of geranyl diphosphate to form a monocyclic monoterpene, limonene.’
- ‘Apparently the monocyclic geometry leads to stronger interactions between peptide and chromophore extending also to longer times.’
- ‘Benzene is planar and has an uninterrupted cyclic array of three conjugated double bonds arranged in a monocyclic six membered ring.’
- ‘Clusters containing at least 10 atoms commonly form monocyclic rings.’
- ‘The syntheses of 4-aminomethyl-phenylazobenzoic acid as well as of the linear, monocyclic, and bicyclic AMPB peptides were reported elsewhere.’
2Relating to a single cycle of activity.
- ‘Buproprion is a unique monocyclic antidepressant that has structural similarities to amphetamines.’
- ‘Both of these monocyclic crinoids have very few plates in the aboral cup.’
- ‘Most breeds are seasonally monocyclic, showing signs of heat every 6 months or so.’
- ‘Plate homologies between the two basic types of aboral cup construction, monocyclic and dicyclic, were not always as had traditionally been assumed.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.