Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A flowering plant with an embryo that bears a single cotyledon (seed leaf). Monocotyledons constitute the smaller of the two great divisions of flowering plants, and typically have elongated stalkless leaves with parallel veins (e.g. grasses, lilies, palms).Compare with dicotyledon
- ‘Sandersonia aurantiaca is a liliaceous monocotyledon with a bell-shaped corolla formed from fused petals and sepals (tepals).’
- ‘Besides this constitutive system, iron reductases have been described in dicotyledons and non-grass monocotyledons that reduce iron prior to uptake.’
- ‘Results presented in this study are in good agreement with those reported for other monocotyledons such as maize and rice.’
- ‘In monocotyledons, the expanding region of leaves, where cell division and tissue expansion take place, is located near the leaf insertion point.’
- ‘Lipid transfer proteins are small, basic proteins that have been purified from both monocotyledons and dicotyledons.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.