Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device used to select radiation of (or very close to) a single wavelength or energy.
- ‘Spectra were also corrected for the wavelength-dependent efficiencies of the photomultiplier tube detector and monochromators.’
- ‘A narrow slit in front of the light source lets a small beam of light through to a device called a monochromator, which separates the wavelengths.’
- ‘Extensive studies have been carried out to obtain a reliable wavelength calibration of the monochromator and to assess the reproducibility of its sine drive arm.’
- ‘The slit widths of the excitation and emission monochromators were set at 1 nm.’
- ‘Detection was achieved using a monochromator coupled to a photomultiplier tube.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.