One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Made as, contained in, or involving a single casting.
- ‘The brakes comprise 355/330 mm front/rear ventilated grooved steel discs with radial-mounted four-piston Brembo monobloc callipers.’
- ‘I had already bought my €500 granite block, on which to place my fancy vessel-bowl sink with its cool monobloc tap.’
- ‘Traditional laser butt welding of steels of different thickness to produce a monobloc component was out of the question.’
- ‘The calipers are of monobloc type to maximize rigidity and reduce deformation due to the high stresses generated by the pressure of the pistons on the pads.’
- ‘Reginox has a beautiful range of monobloc taps from £131.99, while Franke's sleek models start at about £100.’
Early 20th century: from French, from mono- (from Greek monos ‘alone’) + bloc ‘block’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.