One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of antidepressant drugs which inhibit the activity of monoamine oxidase (so allowing accumulation of serotonin and noradrenaline in the brain).
- ‘Products such as St John's wort may act as a mild monoamine oxidase inhibitor or as a serotonin reuptake inhibitor.’
- ‘Because of a potential drug interaction, don't take mirtazapine with another type of antidepressant called a monoamine oxidase inhibitor.’
- ‘Bupropion is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor, which has the potential for interaction with foods and amphetamines, so I'll stick with a serotonin reuptake inhibitor.’
- ‘A number of studies have examined evidence for the use of selegiline, a selective monoamine oxidase inhibitor, in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease.’
- ‘When depression is more severe, antidepressants, such as bupropion, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, a monoamine oxidase inhibitor or electroconvulsive therapy are usually used.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.