One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An enzyme (present in most tissues) which catalyses the oxidation and inactivation of monoamine neurotransmitters.
- ‘He believes that high-sensation seekers have reduced dopamine levels because they have low levels of monoamine oxidase, a brain-active enzyme that regulates dopamine and other neurotransmitters.’
- ‘Initial attention was drawn to hypericin and pseudohypericin since they inhibit the enzyme monoamine oxidase, as do several pharmaceutical antidepressants.’
- ‘As a nonselective inhibitor of monoamine oxidase, caution is recommended when used with adrenergic or serotonergic agents.’
- ‘For oral warfarin and drugs that inhibit monoamine oxidase, dietitians review the medical record for appropriateness of diet and visit the patients to determine educational needs.’
- ‘Criminal violence, for example, might be excused as a consequence of low levels of serotonin or monoamine oxidase in the brain.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.