One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An enzyme (present in most tissues) which catalyses the oxidation and inactivation of monoamine neurotransmitters.
- ‘For oral warfarin and drugs that inhibit monoamine oxidase, dietitians review the medical record for appropriateness of diet and visit the patients to determine educational needs.’
- ‘Initial attention was drawn to hypericin and pseudohypericin since they inhibit the enzyme monoamine oxidase, as do several pharmaceutical antidepressants.’
- ‘He believes that high-sensation seekers have reduced dopamine levels because they have low levels of monoamine oxidase, a brain-active enzyme that regulates dopamine and other neurotransmitters.’
- ‘Criminal violence, for example, might be excused as a consequence of low levels of serotonin or monoamine oxidase in the brain.’
- ‘As a nonselective inhibitor of monoamine oxidase, caution is recommended when used with adrenergic or serotonergic agents.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.