One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A compound having a single amine group in its molecule, especially one which is a neurotransmitter (e.g. serotonin, noradrenaline).
- ‘Therefore, it appears likely that aggression is moderated by a variety of neuromodulators, including monoamines, neuropeptides and neurosteriods.’
- ‘The changes and control of emotion were related to the changes in the levels of monoamines and its metabolites in the limbic system of the brain stem.’
- ‘While hyperforin may be sufficient to explain the antidepressant effects of St. John's wort, synergistic effects on monoamines is possible.’
- ‘Estrogen and progesterone seem to modulate levels of monoamines, including serotonin.’
- ‘Interest has focused recently on the responses of central brain monoamines, specifically the catecholamines and indoleamines in response to stress.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.