One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
plural nounNorth American
Mischievous behaviour.British term monkey tricks
- ‘It seems they are permanently angry at each other for having extramarital monkeyshines.’
- ‘As its stands now, there's too much monkeyshines, and not enough pure monkey enjoyment to even care.’
- ‘Onto this stage is rolled a triangular cage for the important prison scenes, the widely spaced bars forming a jungle gym for the captives to perform their monkeyshines on.’
- ‘Once a school gets known for off-court monkeyshines and low academic standards, that reputation becomes a recruiting tool.’
- ‘The cinematic monkeyshines underscore the various triumphs and tribulations that derive from a lifetime in pursuit of physical pleasure alone.’
- ‘It turns out all the monkeyshines are some rich woman's fault.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.