One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of boggy ground, having yellow or red flowers which resemble snapdragons.
Genus Mimulus, family Scrophulariaceae: several species, in particular M. guttatus
- ‘This incredibly beautiful desert wouldn't be complete without its gardens of cactus, black brush, yucca, monkey flower, Easter flowers and ferns.’
- ‘Many others happily adapt to a regular garden irrigation regime: coral bells, monkey flowers, wild strawberry, Western columbine, and wild ginger are examples.’
- ‘For instance, hummingbirds are attracted to coral bells and columbine in spring, scarlet monkey flower and salvia in summer, and California fuchsia in late summer and fall.’
- ‘Tiny lavender monkey flowers, purple and yellow New England asters, and blue-stem prairie grass are thriving between two mounds of refuse blanketed with scrub grass and cattails.’
- ‘Flowering vines twisting up the cage, and colonies of monkey flower nearby, add charm to the scene.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.