One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piece of playground equipment consisting of a horizontally mounted overhead ladder, from which children may swing.
- ‘They swung from the monkey bars and grinned from the hopscotch lines etched on the pavement.’
- ‘Others hang half upside down off the monkey bars, shooting imaginary spider webs out of their wrists.’
- ‘Some of my most instructive moments in grade school came on the monkey bars - we invented games there, learned to deal with bullies, made friends… and just had fun.’
- ‘Ok lets go over to the slide and monkey bars now!’
- ‘I looked at his group then him, moving back to a ladder that led up to a slide and some monkey bars.’
- ‘When she reached the height she desired, she leapt off the swing and grabbed a hold of the monkey bars nearby.’
- ‘Sighing softly, I scale the monkey bars and perch atop them, halfway across, so that I can balance myself on the thick bar that helps support all the smaller ones.’
- ‘It was like being a child on the monkey bars, like when I was a kid on the playground, back in the projects where I grew up.’
- ‘Ryan went from the monkey bars right to the slide.’
- ‘You can do pull-ups in the gym, on a tree branch, or on monkey bars in a playground.’
- ‘Some played on the monkey bars, some on the swings, while others were content just to play in the sand.’
- ‘Children have fewer opportunities to play on swing sets and monkey bars at school and in parks, too.’
- ‘With quiet little parks all over the place, with children playing on swings and monkey bars when school was out.’
- ‘Remember when we were about seven and I pushed you off the monkey bars?’
- ‘Kevin started running towards the monkey bars.’
- ‘It was a breezy evening, and families were out-of-doors, children playing on the monkey bars of a little park nearby, people strolling past book stalls and market wares.’
- ‘They were laughing and shouting and hanging by their knees from the monkey bars.’
- ‘My mom, Tucker, and I would come to this park every weekend and play on the swings and slides and monkey bars.’
- ‘We walked to the middle of the play ground were the monkey bars sat, and I told them what was going on.’
- ‘The 15-year old Teryl didn't play on the slides or the monkey bars anymore.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.