One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A seal with a dark back and pale underside, occurring in warm waters of the northern hemisphere.
- ‘Under the U.S. Endangered Species Act, the Hawaiian monk seal has had some of its coastal habitat protected.’
- ‘An endangered Hawaiian monk seal is back home in waters off an island in Hawaii after surgeons removed a large fishhook from his mouth.’
- ‘Thanks to a courageous conservation project, the critically endangered Mediterranean monk seal's future looks much brighter.’
- ‘The islands serve as nesting grounds for green sea turtles, home to millions of seabirds, and a refuge for rare monk seals.’
- ‘Hawaii may have no native terrestrial mammals, but the islands do harbor one native aquatic mammal, the monk seal, and one native flying mammal, the hoary bat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.