One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Resembling a string of beads.
- ‘Faint brown septate hyphae and moniliform fungal elements were found in the granuloma.’
- ‘Finally, all representatives of section Polystachya examined were found to possess multicellular, uniseriate, moniliform trichomes that fragment to form unicellular units.’
- ‘Chambers are in a moniliform arrangement, without a spongocoel wall (endowall).’
- ‘Clusters range from limited moniliform series of beadlike chambers to irregularly intergrown or adnate chambers with long exaulos tubes.’
- ‘In each case, pseudopollen is formed by the fragmentation of uniseriate, moniliform hairs into individual component cells or short chains of cells rich in protein.’
Early 19th century: from French moniliforme or modern Latin moniliformis, from Latin monile ‘necklace’ + -form.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.