One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Cause to become mixed in race, composition, or character.‘a patois of mongrelized French’
- ‘He then told us of an idea he had about breeding a common, mongrelized man which every race would be distilled into, until mankind had a homogenous race.’
- ‘I want to say the genius of the human race is mongrelised.’
- ‘The blues, it seems, has become co-opted, and then co-opted back: mongrelized, in the best sense of the word, like the rest of American culture.’
- ‘Only the immigrant generation uses this mongrelized Bulgarian; their American-educated children are more likely to consider English their primary language.’
- ‘Under the right conditions, the newcomer aids the group - an effect that is increased if the group is already mongrelized, because then resistance to the outsider will be lower.’
- ‘Some day a bright spark or a very small collection of bright sparks will come up with a better and fully integrated language, rather like the emergence of ‘C’ from the Babel of mongrelised languages and dialects that preceded it.’
- ‘In Europe we're pretty much so mongrelised that we don't have an indigenous population.’
- ‘The mongrelized Westerns were made here by actors who couldn't get better jobs in California.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.