One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who passes judgement on and criticizes something after the event.
- ‘He doesn't think the current scene is perfect, but he's willing to get involved and help change things rather than take the strictly critical position of Monday morning quarterback.’
- ‘Yes, I know: hindsight is always 20 / 20, and every Monday morning quarterback scores a touchdown.’
- ‘So I think it's pretty easy to be a Monday morning quarterback here, but in fact I think everybody has handled this very well.’
- ‘So you know, like I said, we can play Monday morning quarterback all we want, but they had to deal with what they had at the time.’
- ‘Now it's easy to play Monday morning quarterback in situations like this, but hasn't a big cable company deal been the dream all along?’
- ‘‘It's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback for all of us,’ he told the racing magazine.’
- ‘If there is anything easier than being a Monday morning quarterback, it is promising to do great things in the future.’
- ‘Keeping in mind the notion that the best quarterback is a Monday morning quarterback, if I had it to do over, this is what I would have done differently.’
- ‘We know the feeling of pain that comes with mistakes, and no one needs the added pain of listening to a Monday morning quarterback.’
- ‘There are already some Monday morning quarterbacks questioning the Pentagon's strategy, particularly, do they have enough armor, heavy armor on the ground?’
- ‘I'm getting a little sick and tired of the Monday morning quarterbacks out there determining that she did something wrong.’
- ‘Critics and Monday morning quarterbacks are a dime a dozen, but it remains to be seen.’
- ‘There were many Monday morning quarterbacks, who now say why didn't you do it?’
- ‘The bottom line is that I don't believe any of the Monday morning quarterbacks who now claim that they knew back then that Foreman matched up favorably vs Frazier.’
- ‘Put aside the fact that this commission is supposed to be finding out what actually happened, not drawing up plays like Monday morning quarterbacks.’
- ‘The Monday morning quarterbacks in the squadron, all senior aviators, asked me why I simply had not done a dirty on-speed check to determine my fuel state.’
- ‘At other times, what is revealed is a serious lack of poker understanding on the part of Monday morning quarterback criticizing the play of one of the televised players.’
- ‘Would his great line that ‘No Monday morning quarterback ever won a game’ be enough to soothe those doubts?’
- ‘Now, after a Reserve Bank of Australia-inspired rise of 0.25% pa in the daily cash rate, the chattering commentariat is questioning the move and playing Monday morning quarterback.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.