One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Consisting of one atom.
- ‘For example, aluminum, helium, and sodium are monatomic elements, or elements whose atoms can exist alone, without forming molecules.’
- ‘Dalton had used Ockham's Razor to assume elemental gases were monatomic.’
- ‘Although the most common anion formed by oxygen is monatomic, oxygen can also form diatomic ions known as peroxides and superoxides (monovalent).’
- ‘Those compounds should be abundant on a planet, but pure oxygen, whether monatomic or molecular, should be vanishingly scarce - as it is, in fact, on Mars and Venus.’
- ‘Data for monatomic gases like argon and helium give exact agreement, and many diatomic gases show experimental results in close accord with the theory.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.