Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A member of a group of Christian heretics of the 2nd or 3rd century who denied the doctrine of the Trinity.
- ‘For practical purposes the Monarchians have been divided into two classes, modal and dynamic.’
- ‘These aren't just hats that God wears at different times and can put aside, or different ways of being in different circumstances - that idea was what got the Monarchians condemned.’
- ‘He was probably the first of the Monarchians to visit Rome, where he was well received by the Pope about 190-198, with whom he used his influence against the Montanists.’
- ‘Tertullian was battling Monarchians who opted for the unity of God and denied trinitarianism.’
- ‘On the one extreme, the Monarchians interpreted it to mean ‘one person’, although the ‘one’ is neuter, not masculine.’
Relating to the Monarchians or their beliefs.
- ‘Monarchian doctrine usually did not deny the deity of Christ; instead they claimed that the Son is the Father, not the eternal Son as part of historic Christianity.’
- ‘To prevent polytheism the Monarchian Christians, (primarily the Modalists) insisted that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit were in reality one person.’
- ‘The Monarchian theory is a false teaching that started some time in the second century.’
- ‘There are good reasons to not take these portrayals as symbolic manifestations of a single infinite person wearing different temporal masks, as the ancient Monarchian heresy of the 2nd century tried to portray God.’
- ‘There are many attacks upon Oneness Apostolics who hold to the ancient Jewish Monarchian doctrine of One God.’
From late Latin monarchiani (plural), from monarchia (see monarchy).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.