Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An isolated hill or ridge or erosion-resistant rock rising above a peneplain.
high ground, rising ground, prominence, eminence, elevation, rise, hillock, mound, mount, knoll, hummock, tor, tump, fell, pike, mesaView synonyms
- ‘They may also rise starkly as massive monadnocks that have served as quarries, trash dumps, artistic surfaces, picnic grounds, and mystery sites among casual visitors.’
- ‘Even as a child I had heard what a monadnock was - a huge lump of rock rising above rolling forests, a big hunk scraped bare but still left after the icecap had gone back.’
- ‘Rising above the flattened Piedmont terrain east and southeast of Atlanta are several large rock masses known as monadnocks.’
- ‘With Mount Royal on his doorstep, it was only natural that the monadnocks stretching eastward from Montreal across the Saint Lawrence valley would attract his attention.’
- ‘Mount Watatic in Ashburnham, an hour west of Boston, enables you to drive to the summit of the monadnock.’
Late 19th century: named after Mount Monadnock in New Hampshire, US.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.