One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a people now inhabiting parts of south-eastern Burma (Myanmar) and western Thailand but having their ancient capital at Pegu in the south of Burma.
- ‘Myanmar has eight major ethnic groups - Bamas, Kayins, Shans, Rakhines, Mons, Kachins, Chins and Kayahs.’
- ‘He is scheduled to hold a joint meeting with leaders of minority groups including the Shans, Kayins, Mons and Rakhines later in the day at his hotel.’
- ‘The Mons and Burmans absorbed the Pyus and similarly Burmans and Shans and Burmans and Chinese and others mixed with each other and influenced the life-style of one another.’
- ‘Ethnic Burmese form the majority at 67.4%, and the remainder includes the Shans, Rakhines, Mons, Chins, Kachins and the Kayahs.’
- ‘The original inhabitants of the region were the Mons, who may have been introduced to Theravda Buddhism in the early centuries by missionaries sent from India.’
- ‘Wars were fought with the ethnic Mons and Arkanese, and with the Siamese.’
- ‘Groups with their own states include the Karens, Chins, Shans, Kayahs, Arakanese, Mons, and Kachins.’
2mass noun The language of the Mon, related to Khmer (Cambodian).
- ‘The dominant Khmer language belongs to the Austroasiatic language family and is related to Vietnamese, Mon, and a number of other Asian languages.’
- ‘Cambodian, or Khmer, is classified by linguists as an Austro-Asiatic language, related to Mon - a language spoken in Burma and western Thailand.’
Relating to the Mon or their language.See also Mon-Khmer
- ‘It documented accounts of 43 crimes against women from the Karen, Karenni, Mon, and Tavoyan groups as well as the Shans.’
- ‘Halted in its southward move by the Bay of Bengal and the Andaman Sea, Burmese encountered the Mon language.’
- ‘Today the Mons have no independent political status and the Mon language is dying out.’
- ‘This island is home to a community of Mon people who came here from their homeland in the river Kwai valley north of Kanchanaburi.’
- ‘Malay, Mon, and Khmer civilizations flourished in the region prior to the arrival of the ethnic Tai.’
The name in Mon.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.