One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A herbivorous short-legged rat-like rodent that typically lives permanently underground, with long incisors that protrude from the mouth and are used in digging.See also naked mole rat
- ‘The blind mole rat, S. ehrenbergi, receives seismic vibrations by pressing its lower jaw against the ground to transmit vibrations to the inner ear by bone conduction.’
- ‘As the mole rat's visual cortex has been reduced, some of its other brain structures, associated with touch and smell, have expanded.’
- ‘Cobras flourish as long as there are rice fields; there they feed mainly on the mole rat, live and lay their eggs in the rat burrow networks.’
- ‘Unlike other wolves, the species hunts alone, with individuals leaving their groups in the late morning and early afternoon in search of giant mole rats and grass rats.’
- ‘Where several species of mole rats occur in the same area, they appear to segregate by soil type.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.