Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cosmetic preparation used to prevent dryness in the skin:‘every night I take off my make-up with baby lotion and then put moisturizer on’[count noun] ‘skincare products such as moisturizers’
lotion, cream, balm, emollient, salve, unguent, lubricanthand lotion, body lotion, baby oil, cold cream, aftershave, aftersunpomade, pomatumhumectantView synonyms
- ‘For maximum benefit, skin moisturizers should be applied generously before the longest period of no hand-washing activity (eg, before going to bed).’
- ‘Put a moisturizer on your skin three or four times during the day.’
- ‘Does the manufacturer recommend compatible lotions or skin moisturizers?’
- ‘Regular use of a moisturizer can help prevent the dry skin that is common in winter.’
- ‘Commonly used in moisturizers, emollients lubricate the skin and give the cosmetic product a smooth, soft feeling.’
- ‘After removing the dead cells, you need to soothe the irritated skin by applying moisturizers appropriate for your skin type.’
- ‘It involves a machine that sprays atomised moisturisers onto the skin using a stream of pressurised oxygen.’
- ‘Without moisturizer, your skin may become dry and flaky and possibly even painful, red, itchy and sore.’
- ‘Put moisturizer on your skin immediately after a bath or shower, while your skin is still wet.’
- ‘Facial moisturizers help hydrate the skin on your face.’
- ‘Creams and lotions are moisturisers and better for people with dry skin.’
- ‘She has developed a line of cosmetics, and skin care comprising of moisturizers, lotions, bath and body products and make-up to share this gift of beauty with the world.’
- ‘She kept the grey hair covered, massaged age-defying moisturizers into her skin, and met with her personal fitness trainer twice a week.’
- ‘Hand lotions or skin moisturizers are either humectants or lipids.’
- ‘Cleanse the skin at frequent intervals with warm water and a mild, pH - balanced cleansing agent, then apply moisturizers and a barrier cream as indicated.’
- ‘Gently massage the moisturizer into facial skin with smooth upward strokes.’
- ‘This old-fashioned diaper cream is a good moisturizer and can help skin heal.’
- ‘She also avoids milky cleansers and lotion moisturizers, which she associates with breakouts.’
- ‘There are many other cream and lotion moisturizers on the market that have not been listed here because of space constraints.’
- ‘As central heating and the resulting dry air take their toll, combat dry, flaky skin by swapping your daily face cream for a super-rich moisturiser.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.