One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An area of a town or village; a community.‘the scheme facilitates the building of primary schools in different mohallas’
- ‘In several villages and urban mohallas where the turnout was very low, as the day wore on the army frequently crossed the thin line between encouragement and coercion.’
- ‘The face is everywhere, but it is more visible in rural areas and in urban slums and in backward districts, in the tolas and mohallas where the weaker sections live.’
- ‘But because I was unable to leave my birth place, or even my mohalla, so I can't be successful in happiness.’
- ‘Generally a mohalla contained its own school, bazaar, mosque or temple.’
- ‘We try to imitate the players when we play cricket in our mohalla.’
From Arabic mohālla.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.