One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An area of a town or village; a community.‘the scheme facilitates the building of primary schools in different mohallas’
- ‘We try to imitate the players when we play cricket in our mohalla.’
- ‘The face is everywhere, but it is more visible in rural areas and in urban slums and in backward districts, in the tolas and mohallas where the weaker sections live.’
- ‘In several villages and urban mohallas where the turnout was very low, as the day wore on the army frequently crossed the thin line between encouragement and coercion.’
- ‘Generally a mohalla contained its own school, bazaar, mosque or temple.’
- ‘But because I was unable to leave my birth place, or even my mohalla, so I can't be successful in happiness.’
From Arabic mohālla.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.