Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to a popularization of the art deco style marked by bright colours and geometric shapes.
- ‘He later went on to design the moderne iconography in the Bank of Nova Scotia building at 44 King W.’
- ‘Like a lot of other post-Vatican II folks in the pews, I miss something in our spare, moderne churches.’
- ‘For example, in the 1950s many of my parents' friends thought themselves very moderne as they showed off their new butterfly chairs.’
- ‘The moderne settings order the space geometrically and rationally while also demonstrating abstract decadence.’
- ‘Jones was perhaps best known at the time for having designed the stunning art moderne interior of the cruise ship The Empress of Britain.’
- ‘Examples include the Coolidge Corner Theatre, a 72-year-old art deco movie palace in Brookline, Mass., and the Normal Theater, a 1937 art moderne movie palace in Normal, Ill.’
- ‘Downtown's newest hotel sports great art, moderne styling, 282 luxe rooms, and a rooftop pool, all a stone's throw from the convention center.’
- ‘The new V&C is as swizzy and moderne as the old one is homely and fuggy.’
- ‘The restaurant is in a circular room, pleasantly moderne now.’
- ‘There among the moderne vintage items I discovered a simply wonderful Japanese print in a great frame for a steal of a price.’
- 1.1derogatory Denoting an ultra-modern style.‘the owner leaned toward modern but anything that even slightly went moderne was to be repressed’
- ‘The décor is East Village thrift-shop moderne.’
- ‘What really counts is having a trendy moderne camera or a DAW with 900 virtual tracks!’
- ‘He created a Gotham City that mixed of deco, expressionist and moderne styles.’
1920s: French, ‘modern’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.