One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A combined device for modulation and demodulation, for example, between the digital data of a computer and the analogue signal of a telephone line.
- ‘The modem decodes the analog data signal and converts it to a digital signal.’
- ‘These reports expanded the analysis to include not only computers and modems but also Internet connectivity.’
- ‘An army of teleworkers has sprung up, equipped with computers, modems and ISDN lines, and ready to do business.’
- ‘Computers that don't share a local network talk to each other through telephone lines using modems.’
- ‘This suggests the spammers are using Internet connections at work or connecting modems to worklace telephone lines.’
- ‘Telephone lines are tapped, and fax machines, modems, computers and satellite dishes have to be registered with the government.’
- ‘Since all of Taiwan is wired for telephone use, anyone with a modem and computer can get on the Internet.’
- ‘High voltages can enter your computer through the phone line connected to the modem.’
- ‘In addition, four USB ports are available for connection to a variety of peripheral devices such as printers, modems or external storage devices.’
- ‘With a network server there is no need for separate modems and telephone lines.’
- ‘Should you go for a modem for one computer or a router to share the connection between more than one?’
- ‘For example: a modem driver allows the modem inside your computer work with Windows.’
- ‘With computers, modems, e-mails and Web sites, the world has become smaller, which allows you to tell more people who you are and what you do.’
- ‘So it supplemented the existing database on telephones with a profile of computers and modems.’
- ‘The receiving modem translates the analog signals back to digital form.’
- ‘Many of these devices can access wireless networks or use the cell signal as a modem line.’
- ‘Unfortunately, it doesn't take an awful lot of voltage to punch holes in the delicate electronics we're using in our modems and computers.’
- ‘Another device that is very handy is a voice modem with telephone recording software.’
- ‘As prices drop and adoption increases, all computers will include ADSL modems.’
- ‘It was only when the price of a modem dropped below $35 that PC manufacturers decided to bundle modems into all new computers.’
with object and adverbial of direction Send (data) by modem.‘Iva and Bill were modeming new programs to New Orleans’
- ‘They will modem in to work from locations very distant from central headquarters.’
- ‘Run a report of the tally from the polling place before phoning, modeming or driving anything to the county.’
1950s: blend of modulator and demodulator.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.