Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of or denoting a synthetic textile fibre which is a polymer containing a high proportion of units derived from acrylonitrile.
- ‘Outside material of working uniform with various sizes and modacrylic 55-60% cotton and 45-40% antistatic fiber blending content.’
- ‘Our modacrylic range has something for everyone and human hair and mohair wigs are our specialty.’
- ‘This page is your modacrylic one-stop source for the competitive price and quality.’
- ‘Since modacrylic fibers are copolymerized with vinyl chloride or vinylidene chloride, they are flame retardant.’
- ‘The low softening temperatures of modacrylic fibers allow them to be stretched, embossed and molded into special shapes.’
[mass noun] A modacrylic textile fibre.
- ‘The company constructs its products from the wools, modacrylic, acrylic and fire-retardant polyester fibers.’
- ‘Finally, acrylic and modacrylic are the predominant fibers used in the fast-growing craft yarn market.’
- ‘Most stuffed animals have an outer covering of fake fur, usually synthetic materials (polyester, acrylic or modacrylic) or natural materials (wool, wool/cotton, mohair, or alpaca).’
- ‘And ‘Evolutionary Plastic’ and modacrylic are the first inherently flame-retardant synthetic fibers.’
1950s: from modified (past participle of modify)+ acrylic.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.