Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The amenities and appliances characteristic of a well-equipped modern house that contribute to an easier and more comfortable way of life.‘the property has all mod cons’[in singular] ‘speciality firms are springing up to build outdoor kitchens with every mod con’
- ‘So perhaps the most revealing figures from what was published in 1951 relate to the mod cons, or lack of them, that existed in York households then.’
- ‘Each house has a modern kitchen fitted out with all mod cons.’
- ‘The Costa del Sol has an average 325 days' sunshine a year, a laid-back lifestyle, yet with all the mod cons we have come to expect, and an outdoor life second-to-none.’
- ‘You know, it seems obvious that a lot of people want to live in traditional houses, but with all mod cons, and that's why contemporary building and development companies produce the buildings they do.’
- ‘Whether it's a tourer, a motorhome, a holiday home or even a folding camper, the winning leisure vehicle will be decked out with mod cons fit for a gadget geek in heaven.’
- ‘The houses are fully furnished and equipped with all mod cons, down to crockery and cutlery.’
- ‘And despite its run-down appearance, there are a few mod cons - electricity, phone line, oil-fired central heating, a septic tank and mains water.’
- ‘The flat offered me more space for my money and included all the mod cons.’
- ‘These are complemented by mod cons like comfortable fittings and air conditioning.’
- ‘Tomorrow, with his season over, he intends to put in a bid for a new house, half-built with all mod cons.’
- ‘His DIY makeover, however, stopped short of mod cons: fires still had to be built every morning, and ice collected and melted for drinking or washing.’
- ‘Masterminded by a highly skilled local craftsman, the restoration is a superb example of how to combine the charm and character of a period property with all the mod cons of modern building methods.’
- ‘Today's campsites are well equipped and beautifully located, with all mod cons to hand.’
- ‘Unless you've been holed up in some godforsaken middle-of-nowhere with no mod cons, there's no getting away from the veritable computer games revolution in the last couple of years.’
- ‘But in those days there were few mod cons, cleaning appliances or chemicals, so scrubbing up was hard work and everyone who did it was greatly respected.’
- ‘It has 10 bedrooms on two floors, all recently redesigned with a subtle eye for colour - purples, blues, browns feature strongly - and all mod cons.’
- ‘They live in bungalows on the land and have all mod cons like satellite TV.’
- ‘All 44 bedrooms are en suite, with all mod cons.’
- ‘Can you possibly describe to somebody from the city, who has a proper house with running water and all the mod cons, what it is like to try to bring up five kids in this environment?’
- ‘On the third floor of a modern development it has the usual mod cons.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.