Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Modern.‘boldly mix mod with trad for eye-catching results’
in fashion, in vogue, voguish, Popular, up to the minute, modern, all the rage, modish, trendsettingView synonyms
- ‘Everything screams Euro, from the glossy wine-red walls dressed with oversized posters to the throbbing house to the floor-to-ceiling stall doors and mod capsule hand dryer in the WC.’
- ‘Families who have every hi-tech mod con in their rooms, overnight laundry service and on-tap pampering for mums and dads.’
- ‘These two have a groovy townhouse with lots of mod furnishings.’
- ‘A secret chamber with all mod surveillance and survival cons, it is all the rage in New York.’
(especially in the early 1960s) a young person of a subculture characterized by a smart stylish appearance, the riding of motor scooters, and a liking for soul music.
- ‘It was an era when official news bulletins were worrying themselves about mods and rockers, or the hallucinogenic drugs of the hippies.’
- ‘The guitar and bass gave the sound real mod attitude, while the backing vocals added as much soul as the keyboards offered depth and quality to the experience.’
- ‘The clubs I have been involved in here are either funk or mod clubs.’
- ‘In the 1960s, he'd been the resident DJ at London's hippest mod club, The Scene.’
- ‘No other clique can hold a candle to the mod fashionistas.’
- ‘Back in the Eighties, you were either a mod, a long-haired rocker or a football casual and if you were a particularly awkward teenager you were a goth.’
- ‘Sharp shooting 70s and mod era riffs were pelted out to introduce the raw indie/garage punk sounds.’
- ‘By the late 60s many working-class mods had evolved into skinheads, and were listening to the music coming out of Jamaica at the time.’
- ‘He didn't have a scooter, but he bought a mod parka and - as was de rigueur at the time - sewed a fox's tail onto it.’
- ‘Weekenders trace their roots to the mods and rockers' bank holiday rave-ups on the south coast in the Sixties.’
- ‘Before there were mods and before flower power or hippies, there were beatniks.’
- ‘This brand new quartet has a sweet spin on '60s pop that any self-respecting Britpop and mod fanatic should check out.’
- ‘After all, parents in earlier times were once scandalised by teddy boys and mods and hippies and punks.’
- ‘Definite '60s mod influence but nothing to intense and no retro feel.’
- ‘They are keeping this same spirit alive today, as have so many other garage, punk and mod bands for the past 40 years.’
- ‘Even the new dress codes and hairstyles of rockers, mods, or hippies became suspect.’
- ‘I think a lot of mod music is cool, but I prefer to be black belt’
- ‘Men expect to see the return of the pointy-toe brogues with a thick leather sole, as well as the Chelsea boot to polish your mod style.’
- ‘Gold's milieu, the laid-back '70s, saw things move away from the highly tailored mod look to unisex dressing inspired by the sexual revolution and feminism.’
- ‘His dapper mod dress code contradicts the sweaty confrontationalism he projects on stage (and just off - any open dancefloor space is by rights his as well).’
Abbreviation of modern or modernist.
- another term for modulo
- ‘Another popular mod, for cases that lack it, is attaching USB connections to the front of the case.’
- ‘The design will need to incorporate all the same blogger tags, links and sidebar elements as the current template with scope for easy mods.’
- ‘The mod in question allows players to zoom right in to the action and allows for a much more free experience.’
Make modifications to; modify.‘both the single-player and multiplayer games can be modded’
- ‘A good article in the Tech Review looks at the issue of mod chips, and how far companies go to stop anyone from modding their hardware.’
- ‘Needless to say, if I do start modding it, my first stop will be here.’
- ‘I had thought about modding my PSU to make it modular, but never got around to actually doing it.’
- ‘There are many other reasons people want to mod their consoles.’
- ‘It'll be like modding a car: You buy the really basic model, and swap out the things you don't like for things you do like.’
- ‘The comments we got from sixteen year olds who were illegally modding their wetware at the time were priceless.’
- ‘Apple computers have been modded into PCs and vice versa.’
A Highland meeting for Gaelic literary and musical competitions.
- ‘There should be more opportunities for musicians to use the Mod to launch new albums and make their names.’
- ‘It is also exciting that it's come to the east coast for the first time, following the Mod.’
- ‘As a town, Oban has always been at the forefront of things Highland: it is the town after all which hosted the first Gaelic Mod.’
- ‘Gaelic-speaking children come to the Mod every year because they are taught to value their culture.’
- ‘Still, as there are hardly any Gaelic speakers, even at the Mod, no one seemed to notice.’
- ‘It was nice that she came, but the question is whether the Mod should have been in this position in the first place.’
- ‘They fund the Mod and the National Gaelic Arts Project, they prepared a Gaelic language policy ahead of most other organisations.’
- ‘An Comunn Gaidhealach, the organiser of the Mod, is celebrating a major new sponsorship award.’
- ‘The Mod - the biggest Gaelic arts festival - will attract 1,500 competitors in all and many more spectators.’
- ‘Once you venture out of the hall where the competitions are taking place you would barely know that the Mod existed.’
- ‘It was MacLeod who came out with the view, which was extremely bold at the time, that a devout Highland Calvinist could have a place for the Mod and the culture.’
From Scottish Gaelic mōd.
(in the UK) Ministry of Defence.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.