Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A television programme or film which takes the form of a serious documentary in order to satirize its subject.
- ‘Tightly edited, it doesn't grow as slack or indulgent as many mockumentaries do.’
- ‘This mockumentary is either going to be brilliant or crushingly disappointing.’
- ‘Is there a real shift here in political documentaries that are starting to become more like mockumentaries or shockumentaries.’
- ‘However, after about five minutes of mockumentary footage, we move into the main story, and that's where things fall apart… fast.’
- ‘Having failed to find funding for other, more ambitious scripts, the trio realized the wisdom in sticking with a subject they knew and doing the story as a mockumentary.’
- ‘It's a mockumentary tracking two people's bargain-hunting extremism.’
- ‘While we ultimately know this film is a mockumentary, these techniques allow us to temporarily suspend our disbelief.’
- ‘The mockumentary tells us he has keen intelligence, but it only manifests itself in a few lightning-fast assessments of street situations.’
- ‘The film was received so warmly that the three friends decided to expand the film into a mockumentary.’
- ‘This is an intriguing concept, well put together, with the mockumentary crew detailing the action in a lead up to the fight.’
- ‘An elaborate in-joke that might have been concocted at a dinner like the one we see onscreen, Incident at Loch Ness is a satirical mockumentary that will delight Herzog aficionados.’
- ‘It needs a little more mocking to be a good mockumentary.’
- ‘It gives the story a slight metafictional spin, bouncing between blatant product placement and mockumentary.’
- ‘Clearly you're here in the flesh and you have this, it's a mockumentary film, right?’
- ‘This never seems like a mockumentary - rather a serious attempt by an unknown to uncover the truth.’
- ‘I laughed out loud two or three times, but considering the joy I got from the previous mockumentaries, this was a failure.’
- ‘What results is a beautiful mess of a movie, at once a drama, a comedy, a love story, a documentary, a mockumentary, and something else altogether.’
- ‘If anything can be called a delicate art, it's making mockumentaries.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.